Festivals / Events
Plan your event and make your day
Many of festivals and events along the Missouri River are a salute to a historical past, including events like the Annual Fur Trader Days in Geddes and the many traditional Native American Pow Wows held all summer long. You’ll also find rodeos, art festivals, carnivals, fishing tournaments, food festivals and more. Just follow the river to find your next adventure.
Here are a few favorite events along the river. See you there!
- South Dakota Birding Festival at Fort Randall featuring over 322 species of birds the first weekend in May.
- Oahe Days Music and Arts Festival in Steamboat Park on the Oahe River, Pierre, each June.
- South Dakota Walleye Classic in Akaska, August.
- Yankton Riverboat Days and Summer Arts Festival, mid-August along the river.
- Lower Brule Sioux Tribe Annual Fair, Rodeo and Pow Wow the second week of August.
- Sully County Fair in Onida the second week in August.
- Geddes Annual Fur Trader Days the second week in August.
- Annual Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Fair, Rodeo and Pow Wow in September at Eagle Butte.
- South Dakota Governor’s Hunt held in central portions of South Dakota each October.
- Mobridge Tourism Ice Fishing Tournament in January. This is the largest two-person team ice fishing classic in the Midwest.